Skip to main content

Important lesson for newsletter owners

The Popular Science website which I run has a newsletter. You know the sort of thing - you sign up with your email address and every now and then an email update pops into your inbox.

Until recently I ran this manually. It was a huge hassle, and the straw that broke the camel's back was when I switched email providers and the new one wouldn't let me send emails to large numbers of people. So I switched to a mailing service. (I had resisted this before for one reason - money - but it was well worth it.) On the recommendation of a couple of friends I chose MailChimp - and as I've documented elsewhere, it's really great.

This has made sending out newsletters painless, except for one new hazard. They're very fussy about people opting out of the emails. Their software flags up how many people unsubscribe, and if it makes 1% of your list, they ask you why. It also flags up anyone who complains that your email is spam. Apparently they are required to investigate if by US authorities if more than 1% unsubscribe. This seems pathetically low, especially with a small list. It only takes 11 people to unsubscribe and I trigger an investigation as I did with the last mailing. That's not a lot of people. This has made me rather nervous when I send out a newsletter.

So is the lesson 'Don't do it?' No. I've omitted one extra fact. I quite often have competitions on the website, when a publisher or the Royal Society generously donate books to give as prizes. For the last couple of years, I tended to make signing up for the newsletter the way to enter the competition. I know a fair number of those who subsequently sign up just do so for the competition entry, but some might read the newsletter and find it interesting, so it seemed worthwhile. And when I was running the list manually, it was. But now it's a big problem.

The trouble is, competition enterers will typically unsubscribe fairly soon after, often when the next newsletter arrives. So they artificially boost that percentage of unsubscribers. I haven't run this sort of competition since last summer, and I think I have weeded many of the compers out, but there are still some in there. The newsletter I just sent out has already had three unsubscribes, one with a complaint as spam, clearly from a competition entering person who totally forgot they had signed up. I want to email them and say YOU'RE AN IDIOT! You signed up for this - it's the only way to get it. But I can't help but think it's going to make things worse rather than better.

So if you run a newsletter, don't run a competition which is entered by signing up for the newsletter. It'll come back to bite you. I'm just amazed that the big companies who do this all the time don't have problems.

Comments

  1. Your timing is impeccable, Brian. I read this just after reading our CurvingRoad newsletter which we sent out by ourselves and have now put on our site. I was thinking about whether we want to out-source this -- and we don't run competitions -- now you've given me food for thought. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess at the root of it is data protection legislation. A bit like when a big organisation (like the one I work for) has "table of contents" alerts and registrants for free content. If you send these people too much irrelevant material, they "unsubscribe" and then they are lost forever. It is a pity that one cannot "unsubscribe" in a granular fashion.

    But, at the root of it all is the law- one might say part of the plethora of "jobsworth laws" we all have to cope with these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading a warning somewhere (some years back) not to use 'unsubscribe' as some unscrupulous spam-senders simply use it as confirmation that your email address is still valid and start sending you more! Whether this is true or not, I tend not to unsubscribe, I simply set up a message rule that sends the unwanted emails straight to the 'deleted items' folder. That solves my problem, but doesn't get rid of unwarrented email traffic - don't know what the answer is?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen - this is true of spam, but unsubscribe is fine with any legitimate source.

    Maxine - I can see why too many unsubscribes could be considered suspicious, I just think 1% is a very low threshold, particularly for a relatively small list. I would have thought something like 5% would be more realistic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I hate opera

If I'm honest, the title of this post is an exaggeration to make a point. I don't really hate opera. There are a couple of operas - notably Monteverdi's Incoranazione di Poppea and Purcell's Dido & Aeneas - that I quite like. But what I do find truly sickening is the reverence with which opera is treated, as if it were some particularly great art form. Nowhere was this more obvious than in ITV's recent gut-wrenchingly awful series Pop Star to Opera Star , where the likes of Alan Tichmarsh treated the real opera singers as if they were fragile pieces on Antiques Roadshow, and the music as if it were a gift of the gods. In my opinion - and I know not everyone agrees - opera is: Mediocre music Melodramatic plots Amateurishly hammy acting A forced and unpleasant singing style Ridiculously over-supported by public funds I won't even bother to go into any detail on the plots and the acting - this is just self-evident. But the other aspects need some ex

Is 5x3 the same as 3x5?

The Internet has gone mildly bonkers over a child in America who was marked down in a test because when asked to work out 5x3 by repeated addition he/she used 5+5+5 instead of 3+3+3+3+3. Those who support the teacher say that 5x3 means 'five lots of 3' where the complainants say that 'times' is commutative (reversible) so the distinction is meaningless as 5x3 and 3x5 are indistinguishable. It's certainly true that not all mathematical operations are commutative. I think we are all comfortable that 5-3 is not the same as 3-5.  However. This not true of multiplication (of numbers). And so if there is to be any distinction, it has to be in the use of English to interpret the 'x' sign. Unfortunately, even here there is no logical way of coming up with a definitive answer. I suspect most primary school teachers would expands 'times' as 'lots of' as mentioned above. So we get 5 x 3 as '5 lots of 3'. Unfortunately that only wor

Which idiot came up with percentage-based gradient signs

Rant warning: the contents of this post could sound like something produced by UKIP. I wish to make it clear that I do not in any way support or endorse that political party. In fact it gives me the creeps. Once upon a time, the signs for a steep hill on British roads displayed the gradient in a simple, easy-to-understand form. If the hill went up, say, one yard for every three yards forward it said '1 in 3'. Then some bureaucrat came along and decided that it would be a good idea to state the slope as a percentage. So now the sign for (say) a 1 in 10 slope says 10% (I think). That 'I think' is because the percentage-based slope is so unnatural. There are two ways we conventionally measure slopes. Either on X/Y coordiates (as in 1 in 4) or using degrees - say at a 15° angle. We don't measure them in percentages. It's easy to visualize a 1 in 3 slope, or a 30 degree angle. Much less obvious what a 33.333 recurring percent slope is. And what's a 100% slope