Skip to main content

Science and making a cup of tea

From (a rather battered) New Scientist
I was delighted to discover that a letter written to New Scientist described how a reader responded to the NS review of Inflight Science by doing an experiment with tea making.

In the letter, Joan Mascaró points out that the review had said 'that airline tea tastes so appalling because water boils at too low a temperature to make a decent brew.' The writer then goes on to test tea at different temperatures and concludes that too low a temperature is a real problem, but 92 °C doesn't seem to make much difference.

While I could dispute minor details - cabin pressure varies, and can drop boiling point as low as 90 °C - it's unfortunate in a way that the whole thing was based on the review rather than what I said in the book. My actual words were:

Tea enthusiasts like their tea made with boiling water – which means getting the water up to 100 degrees Celsius. That is never going to happen on a plane. Not because the cabin crew can’t be bothered to do it properly, but because it’s impossible get water up to 100 degrees on board the aircraft.

Definitely not tea
Now I ought to make clear that I am not a tea enthusiast. In fact I can't stand the stuff (except green tea). However, time and again tea lovers have hammered into me that the water has to be actually boiling (100 degrees) when it hits the leaves. They want to see bubbles. Leave the kettle five seconds before pouring and they start to twitch and get uncomfortable. 'The water isn't hot enough!' they cry. And they insist you switch the kettle on again.

So taking this assertion (it doesn't have to be true, but it's a nice touch if it is) as a starting point I went on to discuss cabin pressures and its impact on making tea. It was really just what they call in the trade a 'hook' to discuss pressure onboard the aircraft. It seems to have been quite a good hook from the number of times it has got picked up in reviews and interviews... and now in an experiment.

So while I am delighted that the experiments were carried out, I'm not too worried that they change things substantially.

Comments

  1. Interesting. If the water is still boiling when it hits the tea it scalds the tea resulting in a horrible brew. The best tea is made when the water HAS boiled, but has been left to go off the boil before making the tea. Hence the advice - make tea with freshly BOILED water, not boiling water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The confusion comes when people realise that water boiled on a plane does indeed boil - there are bubbles and steam and stuff - but just at a temperature lower than 100C. So what's more important - the temperature, or the fact of boiling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your book, Brian, I watched the cabin staff very carefully when they made tea. I have to report they didn't even try to boil the water, but just poured it from an insulated jug onto the tea bag in a beaker - quite disappointing. But then it was BMI Baby...and I have to say it tasted perfectly fine to me!

    The insulated beaker was a wondrous thing, though. We had a fine time dissecting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Dave - but totally disagreeing with some tea lovers' view.

    Henry - it's temperature. The fact that it's boiling & bubbling isn't the point, merely the indicator.

    Clare - I'm the last one to judge since I can't stand the stuff. I can only go on what I've been told! If we are to believe the NS experimenter, 72 C does produce bad tasting tea...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I hate opera

If I'm honest, the title of this post is an exaggeration to make a point. I don't really hate opera. There are a couple of operas - notably Monteverdi's Incoranazione di Poppea and Purcell's Dido & Aeneas - that I quite like. But what I do find truly sickening is the reverence with which opera is treated, as if it were some particularly great art form. Nowhere was this more obvious than in ITV's recent gut-wrenchingly awful series Pop Star to Opera Star , where the likes of Alan Tichmarsh treated the real opera singers as if they were fragile pieces on Antiques Roadshow, and the music as if it were a gift of the gods. In my opinion - and I know not everyone agrees - opera is: Mediocre music Melodramatic plots Amateurishly hammy acting A forced and unpleasant singing style Ridiculously over-supported by public funds I won't even bother to go into any detail on the plots and the acting - this is just self-evident. But the other aspects need some ex

Is 5x3 the same as 3x5?

The Internet has gone mildly bonkers over a child in America who was marked down in a test because when asked to work out 5x3 by repeated addition he/she used 5+5+5 instead of 3+3+3+3+3. Those who support the teacher say that 5x3 means 'five lots of 3' where the complainants say that 'times' is commutative (reversible) so the distinction is meaningless as 5x3 and 3x5 are indistinguishable. It's certainly true that not all mathematical operations are commutative. I think we are all comfortable that 5-3 is not the same as 3-5.  However. This not true of multiplication (of numbers). And so if there is to be any distinction, it has to be in the use of English to interpret the 'x' sign. Unfortunately, even here there is no logical way of coming up with a definitive answer. I suspect most primary school teachers would expands 'times' as 'lots of' as mentioned above. So we get 5 x 3 as '5 lots of 3'. Unfortunately that only wor

Which idiot came up with percentage-based gradient signs

Rant warning: the contents of this post could sound like something produced by UKIP. I wish to make it clear that I do not in any way support or endorse that political party. In fact it gives me the creeps. Once upon a time, the signs for a steep hill on British roads displayed the gradient in a simple, easy-to-understand form. If the hill went up, say, one yard for every three yards forward it said '1 in 3'. Then some bureaucrat came along and decided that it would be a good idea to state the slope as a percentage. So now the sign for (say) a 1 in 10 slope says 10% (I think). That 'I think' is because the percentage-based slope is so unnatural. There are two ways we conventionally measure slopes. Either on X/Y coordiates (as in 1 in 4) or using degrees - say at a 15° angle. We don't measure them in percentages. It's easy to visualize a 1 in 3 slope, or a 30 degree angle. Much less obvious what a 33.333 recurring percent slope is. And what's a 100% slope